The Church of Engerhafe is named after John the Baptist and was built between 1250 and 1280.
There are a lot of dark secrets connected to this place.
Until 1897 there had been a second building at the west side of the church, named the Hipkenborg.
The ‘tom Broks’ were a powerful East Frisian dynasty of chieftains, originally from the Norderland on the North Sea coast of Germany. In the second half of the 14th century, they tried to wrest control of East Frisia from the other chieftains, resulting in a merciless fratricidal conflict. On October 28th, 1427 it culminated with the ‘Battle of the Wild Fields’ (Schlacht auf den Wilden Äckern) between Oldeborg and Marienhave, where Ocko tom Brook had his headquarters. This bloody battle lasted the whole day, resulting in the death of more than 4000 East Frisians and the capture of Ocko tom Brook by Focko Ukena.
Legend has it that the entire area was covered with the blood, and that the battle was so cruel and brutal, that every full moon, the undead rise from their graves to continue the combat. On such nights, out of the mists, many are those who have heard the whispering of a thousand ghostly voices, before they were covered by the cries of death and the sounds of ferocious battle.
A Map of Legends in East Frisia
Zoom in and click on the map icons to be taken to stories.